English Composition 2
Preparing a Works Cited Page: Sample Works Cited Page
- Works should be listed in alphabetical order, according to the author's last name or the title for sources without an author.
- The Works Cited page should be double spaced, with no extra spacing anywhere.
- The listings on the Works Cited page use a "hanging indent" (first line of a work not indented, each line after the first indented).
- The first letter of each important word in titles should be capitalized, regardless of how the titles are presented on the source.
- The MLA recommends that URLs (or Web addresses) should be included for online sources but notes that instructors may prefer not to have URLs on Works Cited pages, so follow the directions of your instructor.
Sample Works Cited Page
"Avoid Mosquito Bites." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 7 June 2016, www.cdc.gov/features/stopmosquitoes/index.html.
Conboy, Sheila C. "Exhibition and Inhibition: The Body Scene in Dubliners." Twentieth Century Literature, vol. 37, no. 4, Winter 1991, pp. 405-419. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/441654.
Lipton, Eric, and Julie Creswell. "Panama Papers Show How Rich United States Clients Hid Millions Abroad." The New York Times, 5 June 2016, www.nytimes.com/2016/06/06/us/panama-papers.html.
Mayberry, Katherine J. For Argument's Sake: A Guide to Writing Effective Arguments. 3rd ed., Longman, 1999.
Poe, Edgar Allan. "The Cask of Amontillado." Literature and the Writing Process, edited by Elizabeth McMahan et al., 11th ed., Pearson, 2018, pp. 221-26.
Walton, Douglas. Fundamentals of Critical Argumentation. Cambridge UP, 2006. Google Books, books.google.com/books?id=ca8-BAAAQBAJ&dq=argumentation.
Zandan, Noah. "The Language of Lying." YouTube, uploaded by TED-Ed, 3 Nov. 2014, www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0-WkpmTPrM.
Creating the Works Cited Entries
The pages linked below illustrate how the MLA template was used to create each of the Works Cited entries on this page.
- an article in a magazine and journal database
- an article in a newspaper
- a printed book
- an online book
- a web page
- a work in a collection of works
- a video
Copyright Randy Rambo, 2016.