SPN-2004 -80/ HFA-1007-09
Special Topic: Survey of Hispanic Literature:
Latin American Literature IND
To apply analytical and problem-solving skills to personal, social and professional issues and situations.
To communicate orally and in writing, socially and interpersonally.
To develop an awareness of the contributions made to civilization by the diverse cultures of the world.
To understand and use contemporary technology effectively and to understand its impact on the individual and society.
To work and study effectively both individually and in collaboration with others.
To understand what it means to act ethically and responsibly as an individual in one's career and as a member of society.
To develop and maintain a healthy lifestyle, mentally, physically and spiritually.
To appreciate the ongoing values of learning, self-improvement and career planning.
1. Demonstrate speaking ability in the TL.
2. Demonstrate listening skill in the TL.
3. Demonstrate reading ability in the TL.
4. Demonstrate writing ability in the TL.
5. Demonstrate intermediate knowledge of the global Hispanic culture.
6. Demonstrate awareness of cultural diversity.
7. Demonstrate analytical skills in oral and written reviews of literature.
Outcome 1 - Student will demonstrate speaking ability in the TL.
Competency 1.1 Begin, sustain and close a conversation.
Competency 1.2 Ask and answer questions.
Competency 1.3 Speak in complete sentences.
Outcome 2 - Student will demonstrate listening skill in the TL.
Competency 2.1 Understand classroom instructions.
Competency 2.2 Understand classmates when they speak in TL during class activities.
Competency 2.3 Understand the main ideas in native speaker conversations during class activities.
Outcome 3 - Student will demonstrate reading ability in the TL.
Competency 3.1 Guess the meaning of unknown words through cognate recognition, prefixes and suffixes and context clues.
Competency 3.2 Comprehend authentic materials containing basic vocabulary for thematic units studied.
Competency 3.3 Comprehend the main ideas in literary readings studied both inand outside of class.
Outcome 4 - Student will demonstrate writing ability in the TL.
Competency 4.1 Write same information as content of class discussions.
Competency 4.2 Write intermediate paragraphs and narratives that could be understood by a native speaker..
Outcome 5 - Student will demonstrate intermediate knowledge of global Hispanic culture.
Competency 5.1 Recognize, discuss and write about cultural differences in material studied in class.
Competency 5.2 Understand origins of customs and traditions in other cultures.
Competency 5.3 Understand origins of customs and traditions in student's own culture.
Outcome 6 - Student will demonstrate awareness of cultural diversity.
Competency 6.1 Examine and reflect on personal and civic values and responsibilities in the global community.
Competency 6.2 Understand and develop sensitivity to language, values, customs and traditions of others.
Competency 7 - Student will demonstrate analytical skills in oral and written reviews of literature.
Competency 7.1 Analyze selected works of literature.
Competency 7.2 Discuss content, style, message of author and work in class.
Competency 7.3 Write essays in TL about literary works read and discussed.
General Organization of Each Study Unit
1.1 Overview of author
1.2 References to at least two other similar works
2. Antes de leer
2.1 Temas para comentar antes de la lectura
2.2 Palabras clave
3. Selected readings
4. Después de leer
1. La configuración del mundo hispanoamericano Hasta 1824
1.1 Las voces ameríndias
1.3 Díaz de Castillo
1.4 de la Vega
2. Busqueda de la emancipación cultural 1825-1882
3. La realidad americana y la renovación literaria 1882 -1910
4. Continuidad y ruptura: Hacia una nueva expresión 1910-1960
5. Consolidación y expansión 1960-1975
5.3 García Marquez
5.4 Vargas Llosa
6. Asimilación y diferencia 1976- el presente
Conversational modeling in TL
Question and answer
<Voces de Hispanoamérica - Antología literaria.> Chang-Rodriguez. Thomson-Heinle
English Grammar for Students of Spanish. Emily Spinelli. Olivia
ANCILLARY MATERIALS AND SERVICES:
1. BlackBoard Course Shell
2. Internet resources for collaborative/independent study.
1. Participation in BlackBoard Discussion Forum and Salón
3. Timely completion of assignments from text and resources
4. Group work
5. Oral and written assessments
6. IVCC Grading Scale: <60%=F, 60-69%=D, 70-79%=C, 80-89%=B, 90-100%=A
1. Publisher's website:
2. National Learning Standards for World Languages
last revised 01/09/2011-amp
<Return to Course_Information
‹Return to Home Page
Anna Marie Pietrolonardo © 2005, All rights reserved